Year 1 Curriculum
Our curriculum is cross-curricular and topic-based.
Autumn 1: Traditional Tales and Seasonal Change/ Weather
Autumn 2: Toys and Seasonal Change/ Weather
Spring 1: Great Fire of London and Animals including Humans
Spring 2: Travel and Transport and Animals including Humans
Summer 1: Pirates and Materials
Summer 2: Pirates and Plants and Growth
Oracy is built into everything we do in Year 1. Oracy is learning to talk and talking to learn. We teach the children to speak their learning out loud. Using words to say how I feel
- Greeting adults and each other using their name
- Using my turn, your turn
- Speaking in front of other people
- Using stem sentences in my learning and then speaking in a full sentence
- Saying prayers and responses
Phonics and Reading
- For Phonics, we follow the ‘Read, Write, Inc’ scheme. Support can be found on the Ruth Miskin and Oxford Owl websites
- Phonics is taught daily and plays an important role in reading and writing.
- Please encourage children to use ‘Fred Talk’ when sounding out new words.
- The children will bring home a RWInc Phonics Book Bag and a ‘sharing book’. We expect your child to read every day at home.
- Please record the date and title of both ‘sharing’ and RWInc Phonics books in your child’s yellow reading record book.